**** Please note the date change.****
This event is now scheduled for November 16.
Dr. Page Quinton, Assistant Professor, SUNY Potsdam
Title: Carbon isotopes in shallow epicontinental seas: lessons from the Late Ordovician
· Introduction to the paleoclimatic and chemostratigraphic applications of bulk carbonate carbon isotopic values
· Discuss how sea level fluctuations might influence carbon isotopic trends in shallow epicontinental seas: 1) global to regional changes in carbon cycling vs. 2) regional to local changes in environmental conditions due to proximity to shoreline.
· How do we distinguish between these end member processes: a sedimentology, sequence stratigraphic, and geochemical approach?
· Introduction to Late Ordovician chemostratigraphy
· Trends and patterns observed in Laurentia’s epicontinental sea and what they can tell us about the relationship between sea level and carbon isotopic trends
· Future exploration and testing in Mississippian carbonates of Montana